DIY: Aromatherapy Play Dough
Aromatherapy Play Dough is an exceptional sensory activity that kids of all ages and learning ability love!
The following skills and senses are used when playing:
If they are helping you make the recipe, this can also be a great time to teach mathematical concepts as they measure, cut and count. Math concepts can be taken further if you cut the mass into pie shapes and discuss fractions.
The malleable properties of playdough builds fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination and hand and finger strength. Children learn that matter can change shape when you roll it out, poke it with your finger, hit it with a rolling pin, push it inside a mold, cut it, etc. Discuss what will happen if you roll it into a long snake and then hold one end in the air. Have them make predictions and talk about the differences in the playdough versus other objects. What else can we make out of the Play Dough?
TEAM BUILDING & INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
When mixing the dough as a group this becomes a team building exercise. As they kids play with others the opportunity for language development and communication skills presents itself when they listen to others and interact with other children.
This activity is also great way for children to learn about aromatherapy, mood management and essential oils. Have them smell the playdough and ask if it makes them feel sleepy, calm or energized.
SMELL & COLOR ASSOCIATION
Use a variety of oils and colors to help kids learn new scents. Hold a bottle and ask the children to take a whiff of the essential oil and ask the kids to tell you what it smells like. Ask the kids what Essential Oil to use with each colored dough ball. Why did they pick that scent over another? What does the scent remind them of?
- Uplifting: Lemon, Lime, Peppermint, Rosemary, Wild Orange
- Calming: Lavender
What You Need:
2 cups Flour
2 cups Colored Water
1 cup Salt
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
5 drops Essential Oils
- Combine all ingredients, except for essential oils, in a large saucepan and stir until combined.
- Once combined, put over medium heat. Using a spatula, continue to stir ingredients together until it forms a ball. Note: Don’t overcook as it will lead to dry play dough.
- Remove from heat and cool on parchment paper.
- Once cool, add 5 drops of your favorite essential oil and knead until thoroughly combined.
- You’re done! Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for months of fun.